Unabated violence in Kashmir: Two civilians and a police man killed

Srinagar: Two youth from North and South Kashmir died on Friday in fresh incidents of violence taking toll to 40 while in South Kashmir a policeman was killed after suspected militants reportedly attacked police station.

In a bid to quell the protests and maintain law and order, authorities had imposed strict curfew across Kashmir. However, despite curfew protesters at many places clashed with forces.

A youth was killed in Druagmulla Kupwara during clashes with forces. Eyewitnesses said that Mushtaq Ahmed Ganaie received bullets and died on spot when forces opened fire on the protesters.

Two siblings Hilal Ahmed Lone and Sajad Ahmed Lone of Khehtangan Pattan in north Kashmir sustained injuries when forces fired upon them. The injured were hospitalized. SSP Baramulla said that condition of both the youth is stable. Reports said that Army personnel opened fire on the protesters when some of the protesters pelted stones on the army vehicle.

Clashes broke out in Pattan after people in large numbers took out a march after Friday congregational prayers and assembled at Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road and resorted to stone-pelting. The deployed government forces used tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters. Reports said that one of the protesters suffered pellet injuries and was shifted to Srinagar hospital for treatment. During the clashes a CRPF man identified as Amol Uday and a police constable were injured.

Clashes also broke out in Khawjabagh, Cement Bridge, Sheeri, Kreeri, Singhpora, Hygam and Palhalan areas of North Kashmir. At Hygam several protesters were wounded due to pellet injuries. At Singhpora a youth Adil Ahmed was shifted to SDH Pattan after he received pellet injuries. A youth was critically injured in Palhalan Pattan after he received pellets in the head. Locals identified him Tariq Ahmed Hajam who was shifted to SMHS hospital for treatment.

A large pro-freedom procession was taken in apple town Sopore shortly after the culmination of Fridaycongregational prayers. The protesters carrying placards and banners denounced civilian killings. At least six youths from Sopore town were shifted to Srinagar hospital after they were wounded during the clashes in main town Sopore. Reports said that two youth received bullet injuries and two were injured due to pellets. Two more youth were hit by teargas shells.

Thregam, the native village of JKLF founder Muhammad Maqbool Bhat continued to remain under seige while large number of people held protest at Kunanposhpora village.

Reports said that a large number of protesters caused damage to Casper vehicle of Army at Khurhama Lolab area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district. Protesters alleged that Para-military troopers and Army entered into the village without any provocation and thrashed some of the villagers, forcing people to hit to roads. The agitated protesters resorted to heavy stone-pelting and attacked army vehicle.  A youth  was shot dead by force personnel in Yaripora area of Kulgam district which witnesses intense clashes. Witnesses said that locals clashed with police opened fire at the protesters near Yaripora police post killing a youth identified as Sayar Ahmad Kumar of Chitragam village of Shopian district.

There were clashes between youth and forces in different areas of South Kashmir. Intense clashes were reported from Kulgam, Yaripora, Dooru and Qazigund. Locals alleged that CRPF targeted the windowpanes of a shrine with tear gas shells and caused damage it. A procession was taken out in Kulgam  where people defied curfew and clashed with the police. Six protesters were injured in Kulgam and Behibagh area when forces resorted to tear-smoke shelling on them. A cop was killed when according to police unidentified person tossed a grenade at police station Yaripora in Kulgam district. A police official told CNS that due to intense stone-pelting they faced problem in shifting the injured cop to the hospital. Reports said that protesters in the same area set ablaze Panchayat Ghar and Tehsil Office.

Angry protestors set ablaze car of J&K Police cop in Srinagar outskirts on late Thursday evening.Reports said that intense clashes were going on in Parimpora area of summer capital last evening when a car was stopped by protestors. “When they came to know that the driver was a police cop, they burnt down the car before the cop fled away,” reports said.

Clashes erupted between youth and paramilitary CRPF men at Shivpora Srinagar.

As soon as the Friday prayers culminated in different mosques in the locality youth from the area took out a protest rally against the killing spree in Kashmir and pay homage to slain Hizb commander Burhan Wani. Youth pelted stones while Para-military troopers charged them with canes. The clashes between the forces and youth continued for hours.

On the call of united Hurriyat, funeral prayers in absentia for Hizb commander Burhan Wani and his two associates were held at many places including Natipora, Chotabazar and other places. Old Srinagar city reeled under strict curfew.

Meanwhile, locals of Poonch and Mandi areas staged peaceful protest against the killing spree in Kashmir. People in large assembled on main market and have closed their business establishments. While denouncing the innocent killings in Kashmir, the protesters alleged that forces in Valley are pursuing the policy of shoot to kill. (CNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *