Kashmir: Two Indian Army officers, one soldier killed in Fidayeen attack; 2 attackers killed

Srinagar: Day after Indian Army in Kashmir said it will continue operation against militants, Fidayeen attackers in a pre-dawn raid stormed an army base in Chowkibal area of frontier Kupwara and killed two officers and one trooper.
Sources said two Fidayeen attackers stormed army camp in Panzgam village of Chowkibal at around 5:30 am and engaged soldiers in an intense gunfight. In the ensuing firefight, army lost a Captain, a JCO and a soldier while nine other troopers were injured. Sources said that the army’s Quick Reaction Team (QRT) managed to gun down two attackers.
The slain have been identified as Captain Ayush Yadaw, Subedar Bhoop Singh Gujjar and Naik Bhoota Venkata. The injured soldiers were airlifted to Base Hospital in Srinagar and they are being treated upon by doctors. Sources said the identity of the militants is being ascertained but added that they could be associated with Jaish-e-Muhammad. No militant outfit claimed responsibility for the attack.
This is the first Fidayeen attack of year 2017 in Kashmir Valley. The attack came just a day after Chinar Corps Commander Lt Gen JS Sandhu said that the army will continue operations against militants and will kill them so that there is no increase in militancy.
Kupwara attack aftermath: One civilian killed as army opens fire on protesters seeking militants’ bodies
A man was killed after Indian Army opened fire on protesters seeking bodies of two militants who attacked an army camp in Chowkibal area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district. Three other persons were reported injured.
According to local witnesses, the people of Panzgam – where Fidayeen attackers stormed an army camp and killed two officers and one jawan – assembled outside the same army camp which had come under attack. They said the people were standing peacefully and were demanding bodies of the slain duo.
“However the army soldiers without any provocation resorted to firing on civilian protesters and one of the civilians identified as Muhammad Yusuf, 55, died on the spot. He was hit in neck with a bullet,” the local witnesses said. Soon after the killing of civilian, the protests which broke out in morning in Panzga, Chowkibal and adjoining villages intensified.
Soon after the attack in the morning, locals of the Chowkibal and its adjoining villages clashed with government forces. Police had to use dozens of teargas shells and also resort to aerial firing to disperse these protesters. The protesters were demanding bodies of the two Fidayeen attackers for burial. (GNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *