Kashmir: Thousands attend funerals of militants amid gun-salute by associates

Srinagar:  Thousands of people on Saturday attended the funerals of three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants including top commander held multiple times in south Kashmir areas amid gun-salutes by their associates.
Earlier in the morning, bodies of the trio including top commander Junaid Matto killed in Arwani village of Anantnag district were recovered from debris of houses razed to ground by government forces during an encounter. The militants killed in encounter were been identified as Junaid Matto, Nasir Wani and Adil Mushtaq Mir.
Police said Junaid “a notorious militant was district commander and was involved in a number of terror activities”. “He was involved in the killing of police constable at Bogund on 15th of this month in Kulgam.  He was involved in Mirbazar police party attack where police official Mehmood attained martyrdom.  “He was also involved in the killing of an ASI and Constable near Bus stand Anantnag last year. Many cases of terrorist activities are lodged against him,” said the police.
Meanwhile, thousands of people assembled at Khudwani in Kulgam district to attend the funeral of Matto. Reports and witnesses said that huge number of mourners including women staged massive pro-freedom, pro-Islam and anti-India protests. Reports said multiple funerals were held for Matto as number of people swelled with each passing time. Few militants also appeared at Junaid Matto funeral and fired in air to pay respect to their fallen associate.
Meanwhile, ten militants appeared at the funeral of Nasir Wani at Heff in Shopian district and gave him gun-salute. The police said Nasir Wani joined the militancy last year and was involved in militancy activities in the area. Among the militants include Saddam Paddar, a top Hizb commander, and they fired several shots in air. The militants also shouted slogans at the funeral of Nasir and later vanished from the scene. The funeral of Nasir was also attended by thousands of people.
In Pampore, thousands attended the funeral of Adi whol had also joined the militancy last year. Some militants including top commander Zakir Musa reportedly appeared at the funeral and fired in air to pay respect to their fallen associate. On the occasion, the mourners chanted pro-Islam, pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. All the militants were laid to rest amid sobs and tears in charged atmosphere. The burials by and large passed off peacefully. (GNS)
 Kashmir shuts down against militant, civil killings
Complete strike on the call of resistance leadership was observed in Kashmir region on Saturday to protest the killings of three militants and two civilians during gunfights.
According to GNS correspondent, hundreds of police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personal  in riot gear and armed with assault rifles were deployed across the Old City areas falling under five police station including Khanyar, Safakadal, Maharaj Gunj, Nowhatta and Khanyar to enforce restrictions.
In summer capital Srinagar, almost all the shops, and commercial establishments and were closed in the Civil Lines areas of the City. The government offices and banks recorded low attendance. The public transport was mostly off the roads and fewer private vehicles were plying.
The day in summer capital passed off peacefully but reports of stone-pelting were received from some downtown areas. Reports reaching here said forces used teargas shells against the protesters.  Reports of shutdown were received from all the districts of valley against Fridaykillings in Arwani in Kulgam district.
Reports of massive protests and clashes were reported from Tral and Pampore areas of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district against the killings. Scores of youth took to streets at these places pelted stones and bricks on government forces, ensuing clashes. The police used dozens of tear smoke shells against the protesters.
Meanwhile, the Banihal Baramulla rail services remained suspended today in view of prevailing situation. The authorities placed key resistance leaders under house arrest while second rung leadership was detained police stations. A police spokesman said day passed off peacefully in Kashmir. (GNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *