Militants came from Pakistan: MHA
Pak rejects India's contention
NEW DELHI, Mar 13 (Agencies): The two militants who today carried out
fidayeen attack on a CRPF camp in Bemina area of Srinagar were probably from Pakistan, Home Secretary RK Singh said here today.
"Prima facie the
terrorists don't appear to be local but from across the border and first impressions are that they were possibly from Pakistan," he said.
said the government had inputs on entry of four militants and forces were on alert.
"We had inputs that four terrorists have entered. So we were
alert...These two terrorists have been killed. There might be two more (terrorists) who are out," he said.
Singh said he had spoken to the CRPF
incharge of the area about the situation.
The Home Secretary said the terrorists had carried cricket kit bags to get entry into a play ground near
"There (ground), two terrorists came and they had kit bags and in first sight it appeared as if they were joining the cricketers. And
when they entered, they took out AK 47 rifles from kit bags and started firing and lobbed grenades," Singh told reporters here.
Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the government was still ascertaining the involvement of Pakistan in the attack.
"We are still inquiring. It (the
incident) has just happened," he said when asked if Pakistan had a hand in the attack.
Minister of State for Home Affairs R P N Singh condemned
the attack and called it as an act of cowardice.
In a statement, he also expressed his sympathies towards the bereaved families of the CRPF
On demands for removal of AFSPA in J-K coming from various quarters including Union minister Farooq Abdullah, Shinde said, "We are working
on it. We are thinking. We will see."
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan today rejected India's contention that Pakistani militants were behind a terrorist
attack in Srinagar that killed five paramilitary personnel, saying such "knee-jerk reactions" could undermine efforts to normalise bilateral
Reacting to Indian Home Secretary RK Singh's comments that "prime facie evidence suggests that the militants who attacked the members
of the Central Reserve Police Force were from across the border, they were probably from Pakistan", the Foreign Office said it "strongly rejects"
"Pakistan also rejects the statement made by Defence Minister A K Antony in the Rajya Sabha accusing the Special Services Group of
Pakistan Army of beheading two Indian soldiers on the Line of Control on January 8," said the statement issued by Foreign Office spokesperson Moazzam
"We feel that this trend of making irresponsible statements and knee-jerk reactions by senior Indian government functionaries has the
potential of undermining the efforts made by both sides to normalise relations between the two countries," the statement said.
Pakistan was itself
a victim of terrorism and had made "immense sacrifices in its efforts against this menace", the statement said.
Islamabad condemns "such actions
of terrorism in the strongest possible terms" and calls on the Indian government to carry out a thorough investigation into the incident "before
levelling such accusations which are counterproductive and serve no purpose", it said.
Pakistan, the statement said, remained committed to
"discussing and resolving all outstanding issues with India through a meaningful dialogue".
Militants disguised as cricketers killed five
paramilitary troopers after sneaking into a CRPF camp adjoining a school in Bemina area of Srinagar today.
As many as 18 people including 15 CRPF
jawans and three civilians were also injured in the attack, the first major strike in the city in three years.
Home Secretary Singh said two
militants involved in the attack were killed and security forces were searching for others.
Ties between India and Pakistan were hit earlier this
year after several violations of the ceasefire along the LoC. Indian Army officials said two soldiers were beheaded by Pakistani forces in January.