Kashmir: Fidayeen storm BSF camp near Srinagar Airport; 3 attackers, BSF officer killed

Srinagar: Heavily armed Fidayeen attackers of Jaish-e-Muhammad militant outfit (active in Indian occupied Jammu & Kashmir) stormed a Border Security Force (BSF) camp situated just near Srinagar Airport on city outskirts today in pre-dawn hours leading to a fierce gunfight in which two militants have been killed and three border guards injured so far.

Officials said that three fidayeen militant stormed 182 BSF headquarters at Humhama today at 4:30 am. The militants positioned themselves inside barracks of the BSF and there was heavy exchange of gunfire between the two sides. Residents of the area said that they heard dozens of loud explosions which rattled entire Humaham and its adjoining neighbourhoods.

The authorities at Srinagar Airport soon after the attack cancelled morning flights while passengers enroute Airport were stopped near Peerbagh. Government forces in large numbers sealed off entire Humhama and road leading to Airport and launched an operation against the militants. A police spokesman told news agency GNS that two militants have been killed and three BSF personnel are injured in ongoing operation.

Police meanwhile said that the stranded outstation passengers have been allowed to proceed towards Airport but did not give any details about flight operations. Meanwhile, militant outfit Jaish-e-Muhammad has claimed responsibility for the attack, reports said.

Three militants, BSF officer killed as Fidayeen storm paramilitary camp at Humhama

Srinagar: Three militants and an officer of Border Security Force (BSF) were killed when heavily armed fidayeen of Jaish-e-Muhammad stormed a paramilitary camp near Srinagar Airport at Humhama on city outskirts today.

Inspector General of Police (IGP) Munir Khan told a press conference here that at around 4 am, a group of three militants attacked 182 Battalion BSF camp at Humhama. He said that the “attack was very effectively repulsed in the first go itself”. “One of the militants was killed at the very first moment. The two other militants while taking advantage of the darkness managed to sneak inside the camp housing administrative block and SOs mess,” he said.

According to GNS, the IGP said that the quick reaction teams (QRTs) of BSF started an operation against the militants and after sometime these QRTs were joined By CRPF, Police while Army’s 53 RR laid the outer cordon. “The searches for the militants were started and both were eliminated after brief gunfight. One of them was hiding in administrative block while another in SOs mess,” he said.

The Kashmir Police chief said the attackers were from Jaish-e-Muhammad outfit and were part of same group that sneaked into Kashmir from Jammu region in July-August month and carried out a fidayeen attack at Pulwama Police Lines. He “complimented” the BSF for “very effectively” repulsing the attack and foiling immediate damage. “Unfortunately we lost one ASI of BSF and three others sustained injuries,” he said.

The IGP said that “as long as Pakistan is our neighbor, these things will keep happening”. “We have no doubt that it is a group of JeM which is responsible. I believe they have also taken responsibility,” said the police chief. He said that some 6-7 members of the JeM group are still roaming freely but hoped to neutralize them soon. The IGP further said that the forces could have used aerial weapons but they avoided to prevent collateral damage in the area.

He said that the government forces are ready to take on fidayeen militants. “You saw it today how prepared we are,” he said. The IGP lashed out television channels for misreporting and said that the attack was not on Srinagar Airport as was reported by them. He said that such kind of reporting will have bearing on State’s tourism and urged them to report facts.

Meanwhile, the flight operations at Srinagar Airport were resumed at around 11:00 am and all the stranded passengers were allowed to proceed towards the airport terminal. (GNS)

Indian Army trooper killed in sniper attack along LoC in Poonch

MS Nazki

Srinagar:  An Indian Army soldier was killed in a single sniper attack fired allegedly by Pakistani troops in Balakote sector of Poonch district in Jammu region.

A senior police official said Naik Mehandir of 7/11 GR regiment was critically injured when Pakistani troops fired at a forward post in Balakote sector along the Line of Control (LoC) today afternoon.

The trooper, who was hit on the head, was immediately evacuated to nearby MI room where doctors declared him brought dead.

The official said that the soldiers manning the fence also retaliated the fire and when reports last came in, the intermittent exchange of fire was going on. (GNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *