Female Scholar conducts research on reasons of declining sex ration among Muslims in Jammu

Female Scholar conducts research on reasons of declining sex ration among Muslims in Jammu

Lack of Religious knowledge is utmost reason: Jabina Banoo

Jammu: A Muslim Girl Scholar of Jammu University Jabina Banoo has conducted research on reasons of declining sex ration among Muslims in Jammu and has observed that female foeticide in this community is due to lack of religious knowledge. The research also exposed that that 90% people visiting Ultrasound clinics consult about sex determination test and remaining 10% consult for normal check-up not regarding sex determination test.

A resident of Changa village of far-flung area of Bhallesa in Doda district, Jabina Banoo daughter of Mohammad Sharief Batt – scholar of Home Science with specialization in human development has got her 2 research papers published in 2 International Journals “International Indexed & Refereed Research Journal” and “Indian Streams Research Journal” on the Female Feoticide which has become hot topic after 2011 Census report observed grim situation of sex ratio in various districts of Jammu & Kashmir.

In her research that was conducted along with Shashi Manhas on a section of community in Bathindi , Channi , Sunjuwan and Gujjar Nagar area of Jammu district, Human Development Research Scholar Jabina Banoo has observed that it is only lack of religious knowledge that is becoming main reason of the female feoticide in Jammu area. She quoted a Koranic verse of Surah Al- Anam, Chapter 6, Verse 151 in which Allah says “when the female (Infant) is buried or killed, it is questioned, for what crime she was killed.”. She had also grilled Doctors on the issue and 100 percent doctors have confirmed that it is lack of religious knowledge among Muslim women which is responsible for sex determination. The doctors in the research have also responded that it is also due to preference of son, lack of awareness regarding status of women in Islam and also due to discrimination with girls but most of the factor is lack of religious knowledge.

The research has also observed that 90% doctors are being consulted by the people about sex determination test and remaining 10% doctors responded that people consult them for normal check-up not regarding sex determination test which is cause of concern. Picture that arises from the results is that female foeticide is now common in Muslims community also. She has observed that illegal abortion of female fetuses has been on the rise because of increasing dowry demands, son preference, and easy access to sex-determination of foetus and sex-determination methods. Jabina Banoo said that people find foeticide easier than infanticide now a day. She said that majority of parents in a present research were aware about sex determination methods and considered it right and safe method for having a son and most of the parents said that it was morally wrong to kill a girl child in the womb but simultaneously it was considered better to kill the girl child through foeticide by spending little amount on it and to save marriage expenses in future.

During the study, it was found that laws and legislation were violated in each and every aspect and people were aware about legal aspect of this issue but they still go for such practices. It also revealed that they were unaware about the status of women in this community due to this, their attitude towards girl child was not good.

It is pertinent to mention here that according to 2011 census ratio of girls to boys in India is 914/1000 males and in Jammu and Kashmir State it is 859/1000 males. Child sex ratio measured as the number of girls for every 1000 boys in the 0-6year age group has declined in districts of Jammu and Kashmir included Leh from 823 to 583, Kargil 837 to 775, Poonch 919 to 890, Rajouri 878 to 863, Kathua 898 to 877, Jammu 871 to 865 and also decline in six districts of Kashmir. Pulwama 836(-173change since 2001), Badgam 832(-170change since 2001), Kupwara 854(-167changa since2001), Anantnag 831(-130change since2001), Srinagar 869(-82change since2001)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *