On Burhan Wani’s day clashes erupt in Kashmir, ten injured in Shopain


SRINAGAR : Amid shutdown and restrictions, the situation in Kashmir valley on the first death anniversary of Hizib commander Burhan Wani remains by and large normal barring few minor incidents of stone pelting in some part of valley.

Reports said that clashes erupted after police and paramilitary troopers raided the home of slain Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani where people had assembled for fateha (prayers). Witnesses said that policemen and CRPF troopers asked Burhan’s father Muzaffar Wani to vacate the tent erected inside the premises of his house in five minutes.

“Muzaffar sahib asked them to allow them to offer fateha at the grave of Burhan Wani, located

They said that police denied permission to offer fateh at the grave of Burhan adding this angered the youth who were present there which resulted in clashes.

Meanwhile ten persons, including eight women, were injured after forces fired pellets to break up a demonstration in Shopian. Witnesses said that forces raided a locality in the town to stop the anthem being played on the public address system of a mosque on the maiden death anniversary of Burhan. They said that people staged a protest to stop the forces from entering the mosque.

They said that the forces resort to pellet firing, resulting into injuries to ten people among eight were women. Meanwhile Pro-freedom and pro-Burhan graffiti were found scribbled on shop shutters and walls besides the posters of Wani in some part of Srinagar.

Clashes broke out between protesters and government forces in apple town Sopore of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district. Reports said that locals played patriotic numbers on the public address system of the mosques. Clashes in the town continued for hours.

In south Kashmir, banners with pictures of Wani appeared at various places along with pictures of United Jihad Council (UJC) Chief Syed Salahuddin and Hurriyat (G) chairman Syed Ali Geelani.

Wani’s killing on July 8 last year had triggered long uprising in which nearly hundred civilians were killed in forces’ action on protesters.

Over 200 civilians, including girls, lost vision partially or completely due to pellets fired by the forces to foil rallies during the uprising.

Hurriyat Conference factions led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and the JKLF led by Yasin Malik asked supporters to march to Tral in Pulwama district to pay tributes to Burhan Wani today.

Authorities closed all roads leading to Tral and seized thousands of motorbikes to prevent people travelling between villages in the area. Authorities clamped curfew in three towns including Tral and imposed restrictions on the movement of people in the rest of the Valley to foil the separatists’ plan to hold a rally to mark the anniversary.

Police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in strength across Kashmir to handle any security challenges. The curfew was also imposed in Shopian town of South Kashmir and Trehgam in North Kashmir’s Kupwara district. The streets of Srinagar were deserted with all shops and businesses closed. All the examinations scheduled for today were postponed by universities besides Amarnath yatra, train service was also suspended from Jammu. (PTK)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *