Kashmir shuts over Kulgam Killings

SRINAGAR: Kashmir Valley observed a shutdown today called by the Hurriyat conference over the killing of two civilians and four militants in an encounter with Indian Army in Kulgam.

Most shops, business establishments and educational institutions including private schools remained closed in Srinagar city besides in district headquarters.

However, some transport plied in the city and routes leading to district headquarters. Some shops also remained open on the day. Reports said that there were protests and clashed in Palhallan, Hygam in north Kashmir.  Authorities have imposed curfew like restrictions in Kulgam and Shopian district to prevent any law and order situation. There were reports of early morning protests in Kulgam area.

Stray incidents of stone pelting were reported in many parts of the old Srinagar including Safa Kadal and Nowata. Police and central reserve police force (CRPF) were deployed at several places in the city to thwart any protests. Nowhata Bohrikadal, Kawdara, Gojwara and many other parts of old city wore a deserted look.

Reports reaching here from Hajin town of north Kashmir’s Bandipora said shops and other business establishments remained closed .The traffic was also plying partially on different routes.

Most banks, Governments offices including schools witnessed thin presence of officials and teachers .Forces were deployed in strength as precautionary measures at different points.

Meanwhile according to reports four persons were injured in clashes in Redwani area of Qaimoh tehsil of south Kashmir today morning.

Pertinently, two civilians, two army men and four local militants were killed in Frisal village on Sunday and scores were injured in clashes between the forces and protesters who had come to area in large numbers to “rescue” the hiding militants.

Aasiyeh Andrabi detained

Syeda Aasiyeh Andrabi Chairperson Dukhtaran-e-Millat (DeM) along with her associate Sofi Fahmeeda were arrested today On Monday.

Aasiyeh Andrabi was continuously under house arrest since her release from Baramulla sub-jail on December 21, 2016. (PTK)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *